Sunday, December 18, 2011

My Cookie Exchange Contribution

It's that time of year; you know what I'm talking about, the hustle and bustle, they merry and cheery, the magical time of year that is so wonderful.  That is, except for when it gets chaotic, hectic, stressful, crazy, and just plain out-of-control! 

My world is spinning faster than usual and honestly, it gets a little bit overwhelming at times.  I want to slow it down a little so that I can enjoy it just a tad more.  But, mainly, I want it to slow down so that my kids don't feel the panic that is starting to invade my body.

If I can make it to Thursday, the day before Christmas Eve,  in once piece (my mental state, that is), everything will be smooth sailing!

Over the weekend I attended my friend's cookie exchange.  I brought Brown Sugar Shortbread drizzled with Dark Chocolate.  They were actually really good, if I do say so myself!  I was in search of a new,  no-fail recipe and was inspired by Bakergirl

Here is my tray of cookies...13 bags with 6 cookies in each bag, recipe attached. 



Brown Sugar Shortbread with Dark Chocolate
                                                                adapted slightly from Bakergirl

1 lb. butter, softened
1 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
3 1/2 cups flour
1/2 - 3/4 cup flour for kneading
1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 335 degrees.

Cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add 3 1/2 cups of flour and mix well. 
Turn dough out onto flour sprinkled counter and knead for 3-5 minutes, adding just enough flour to make the dough soft and non-sticky.

Roll to 1/2-3/4 inch thickness.  Cut into 2 inch-by-1 inch pieces.  Place on parchment (or silpat) covered baking sheet.  Prick each cookie with a fork evenly.

Bake for 25 minutes or until bottom of cookie is slightly browned.  Remove and cool on wire rack.

Once cookies are completely cooled, drizzle with melted dark chocolate, if desired.




And there you have it!  Absolutely fabulous cookies that are eye-appealing  AND only 3 (or 4) ingredients!  Most cookies don't have all of those traits together.  Best of all, they were a hit here at home with my family. 

I hope you are staying sane amidst the craziness of the season!

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment