Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Creating Christmas- Day 4: Recycled Crayons



It is day four of Creating Christmas with the Girl Creative!  It has been fun so far and I have some awesome projects for the next 3 days that I can hardly wait to share with you!  For today, though, I have a fun craft/project that you can do with your kids. 

If you have kids of any age, you know how crayons start to pile up after a while.  I always like fresh tips, so most of the crayons that we don't use are almost perfect except for the tip.  Instead of throwing them away, we remove the wrapper and break them into small pieces.  Put them into a cute shaped silicone mold, and bake them until they are melted.  Cool them, pop them out and Voila! a totally new and exciting color!

I made Christmas trees.  They would be awesome little gifts with a coloring book or as a favor for the little one's at your Christmas gathering this year.





Stick a couple in a clear cellophane bag for a favor

On my drive home from the farm (picking up milk) I had a genius idea about these crayon trees.  I thought, I'll make them into ornaments!  HA!  Fabulous idea!  Well, this day has been one of those days...you know what I mean, the day that if something can go wrong-it will.  After cleaning up the 1/4 gallon of milk that I spilled in my car, I came in to finish up the crayons.

Here is what happened to the first crayon tree when I was attempting to put a small hole in the top in order to add ribbon.

UHG!
 However, I did manage to try again successfully.  It is actually really adorable!  I put it on the garland hanging on our banister.


Overall, though, recycling your crayons to melt them into new and exciting shapes is fun and easy.  I hope you will try it with your old crayons.


That's all for today folks!  Have a fantastic day!


3 comments:

  1. Adorable! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way cool idea!! I am glad to have found it. I know what the kiddos and I can do with the old broken crayons tomorrow. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete