Friday, October 28, 2011

Our Favorite Tomato Sauce

Tonight we are going on a hayride with our church group.  It is an annual thing that we do and it is so much fun.  It is like a big family gathering, much like a Thanksgiving get-together.  Everybody brings a dish to share, there is a huge fireplace in the shelter in which we meet, and two large fire pits right outside for roasting marshmallows.

I am bringing mini quiches and the ingredients for s'mores.  I found organic graham crackers on sale for only a few cents more than the regular brand and I bought Ghirardelli chocolate bars instead of Hershey's for about the same price.  However, I couldn't find natural marshmallows {sigh} and so I had to buy the regular kind.  I know it is for a crowd and most people that will be indulging don't even care, BUT I DO!

Anyway, I will steer away from my rant for a moment and onto my tomato sauce.  It is my hubby's absolute favorite tomato sauce.  He actually will eat it plain, like, by itself.  I have always made it with canned tomatoes, but recently I learned that the inside of the cans are coated with a product that contains Bisphenol A (aka, BPA).  So, that is now out of the question.  I made it using fresh organic tomatoes.  It turned out just a great! 

Beautiful Red Ripe Organic Tomatoes
and an onion

Spaghetti Sauce {Recipe}

2 Tbls Olive Oil*
1 large Onion*, chopped
4 cloves Garlic*, chopped
4 lbs. Tomatoes*, chopped or pureed (I didn't even peel them!)
1 Tbls dried Parsley*
1/2 tsp dried Basil*
1/2 tsp Onion powder*
1/2 tsp Garlic powder*
1 Tbls Sea Salt
2 Tbls Sugar*

1. Sauté  onion in olive oil over medium heat until tender, add garlic and cook another minute. 
2. Add tomatoes, spices, sugar, and salt. 
3. Stir and lower heat until your sauce slowly simmers.  Simmer for about 2 hours, stirring frequently. 

*Organic


Have a fantastic weekend!

1 comment:

  1. This is a recipe I was soo looking for earlier this summer. I can't wait to try it out in a small amount. Im so glad I found your site!

    ReplyDelete