Wednesday, November 2, 2011

PB & J


If someone, ten years ago, would have told me that in ten years I would be married with 3 kids.  I would have been happy.  If some would have told me I would be married with 3 kids and be making them organic PB&J sandwiches from scratch, I would have thought they were nuts!  Things can really change a lot in ten years! 

Yesterday morning I made strawberry-raspberry jam, and while it was cooking, I made peanut butter.  Then in the afternoon, I made bread.  Voila!  PB&J sandwiches and happy kids! 
 
OOOEY GOOEY and Yummy!
 Strawberry-Raspberry Vanilla Jam

3 1/2-4 lbs. Strawberries*, roughly chopped
6oz. Raspberries*, pureed
3 cups Sugar*
1/2 medium Lemon*, juiced
2 Tbls Butter*

Add all ingredients, except butter, in large saucepan and give it a stir.  Let it marinate until juices from fruits are extracted, about 20-30 minutes.  At this point I used my immersion blender to mix and puree the fruit.
Turn heat on, add butter and bring to a boil.  Stirring occasionally is necessary as the mixture starts to break down, reduce and thicken. 
As soon as it starts to thicken, you can check for jellying point.  You may use your candy thermometer to get it up to 220 degrees, but I don't prefer this method.  I use the following instructions from Hungry Foodies Pharmacy's recipe for Plum Jam sans Pectin:
"Put a few small ceramic dishes into the freezer.
Take out one of the ceramic dishes from the freezer.  Ladle a small teaspoonful of the jam onto the cold dish and put it back into the freezer for one minute.  Remove the dish from the freezer and draw your finger through the jam.  If the jam does not close up the channel, then it’s ready.
If processing, pour hot preserves mixture into a hot, sterile 1/2-pint glass canning jar, filling jar to within 1/4-inch from top; wipe rim and seal jar with lid. Put jar in water-bath canner or on rack set in a deep kettle and cover with hot water by 1 to 2 inches. Boil and process in a boiling water bath, covered, 10 minutes. Transfer jar to a rack using tongs and let cool completely. Store in a cool, dark place, up to one year.
If you are not interested in canning, ladle jam into clean jars and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 months."

 This recipe made 2 1/2 pints of jam.

*Organic

juicy after 20 minutes
So pretty and satisfying!

Peanut Butter {Recipe}

Blurry, but creamy
Ingredients:
Peanuts

Add peanuts to food processor.  Blend until smooth. Put into a jar or container and store in the refrigerator.
Note: if you are using unsalted peanuts, add a pinch or two of sea salt when blending.



Now all of the sudden PB&J is looking better, right?  Not just a "junk food" for kids, it's actually naturally healthy!

My kids are out of school for in-service and conferences for the rest of the week...5 day weekend!  Woohoo!
Enjoy your day,



1 comment:

  1. That sounds pretty easy, I always assumed making jam was more involved. I think I might try this, thanks!

    ReplyDelete