Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Vegan Cookie Dough and a Frugal Food Tip

I have ranted before and I will rant again...this time about canned foods.  Cans contain the harsh chemical BPA (aka Bisphenol A), a known hormone disruptor, as cans are lined with a plastic coating containing this harmful and disgusting chemical that seeps into the food they hold.  BPA has been linked to many illnesses and diseases, including but not limited to infertility and sexual dysfunction, neurological issues, and breast cancer! 

NOTE: There are a few organic brands out there that don't use a BPA lined can, including Eden Foods; these cans will be labeled "BPA FREE".

This is definitely not on my list of things that I would feel good about serving to my family.  So, canned goods are absolutely a NO at our house.  Which leaves me in a predicament when we want certain foods, such as beans.  Canned is just so much more convenient!  I found a solution for my family that I would like to pass on to you. 

FRUGAL FOOD TIP:

Buy organic dry beans!  It's easy, start with a pound of dry beans and soak/cook them according to the package.  When they are done, you can refrigerate them for up to two weeks or you can separate them into 1-1/2 cup portions and freeze them until you need them.  VOILA! Easy, less expensive and much healthier! 

I just made garbanzo beans and here is the financially breakdown:
$3.99 for 1 pound organic garbanzo beans (equal to approximately 5 cans)
$13.45 for 5 cans of organic garbanzo beans without BPA lining
PRICELESS is the cost of feeding my family healthy foods without harsh chemicals!!!

 

 

Vegan Cookie Dough {RECIPE}

3 cups cooked Garbanzo Beans (or 2 cans)
1 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Old-Fashioned Oats
1 1/2 Tbls Real Vanilla
1/2 cup Coconut or Almond Milk (I used water)
Pinch of Sea Salt
Vegan Chocolate Chips (I used Ghirardelli)

Add rinsed garbanzo beans with all ingredients except for the chocolate chips to the food processor and blend until smooth.  Stir in chocolate chips and serve. 

My family and I, kids included, eat this by the spoonful and we LOVE it!  It sounds so strange, but it really is excellent and you can't even taste the beans at all! 

Have a fabulous day!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I just saw your blog featured on Simply Klassic Home. I like what I see and want to read more so I'm a new follower.

    Shasta

    ReplyDelete